Tips for Getting Along with Your Husband’s Sister: Quick Read
- Your husband’s first priority should be ‘you’, not his sister. If that’s not the case, then you should seriously consider helping him redefine his family and priorities.
- Be friendly with your sister-in-law but don’t be overly friendly, no matter how close you feel. Define some boundaries. It will help you maintain a balanced relationship.
- Never share your marital issues and fights with her. She’s bound to support her brother even if the fault lies on his side.
- Initiate family outings or invite them to lunch/dinner occasionally. When she sees you taking effort to maintain a good friendship, she not only stops feeling insecure about her brother but also gets friendly with you.
- If your mother-in-law compares you to your sister-in-law, don’t get unreasonably angry or jealous of your sister-in-law. Instead, talk to your mother-in-law about it.
- Don’t get your husband in the middle of your relationship with your SIL unless you absolutely need him. Try handling small issues yourself.